1. What is a sleeping pill?
Sleeping pills are also known as tranquilizers. Is a drug used to fall asleep, maintain sleep, increase the feeling of drowsiness. However, they only have a temporary effect, so they are not usually recommended for use. The sleep that sleeping pills induce are not physiological sleep.
Some sleeping pills
- Benzodiazepines: including some drugs such as Ativan, Xanax, Valium and Librium: increase the feeling of drowsiness, inhibit the nerves that produce sleep. Drugs can be addictive
- Barbiturates: are a class of sedative drugs for their inhibitory effect, which depresses the central nervous system and causes a feeling of drowsiness.
- And some other drugs: Ambien, Lunesta and Sonata. These drugs have fewer side effects than the ones listed above. There is also Rozerem which is a drug that affects the hormones of the brain and is not addictive.
2 Mechanism of action of sleeping pills
The mechanism of action of hypnotics is almost to inhibit conduction in the reticular organization of the midbrain, and at the same time reduce the activity of synapses. The effect of the drug is mainly by increasing the activity of GABA and glycin (inhibitory transmitters), facilitating the opening of Cl- channels (barbiturates, benzodiazepines and zolpidem).
In addition, sedative-hypnotic drugs also act by a number of other mechanisms such as: stimulation of serotonin receptors, inhibition of glutamic acid, antihistamines and inhibition of Na + channels.
3 Side effects of sleeping pills
Even when using sleeping pills at the prescribed dose, patients may still experience one of the following symptoms:
Feeling tired after waking up.
Memory loss, poor clarity.
Daytime drowsiness, lethargy, somnolence.
Or dream strange dreams, nightmares.
Digestive disorders: constipation, diarrhea, belching
Uncontrollable shaking hands and feet.
Burning or tingling in the hands, arms, feet, or legs.
Change in appetite, stomach pain. 
As seen above, the prescribed dose of the patient can experience a lot of side effects. Therefore, when using drugs in high concentrations, patients easily encounter one of the following problems:
Vomiting, convulsions, foaming in the mouth and nose: Vomiting is a very common reaction to an overdose of sleeping pills. In addition, respiratory failure can lead to very dangerous airway obstruction.
Respiratory depression: sleeping pills are nerve depressants, accompanied by respiratory depression, so when you overdose on sleeping pills, you can have respiratory failure leading to hypoxia and many other complications.
Anaphylaxis: is a very serious side effect that causes systemic effects and requires immediate medical attention.
Headache, pain in extremities, feeling tired.
Causes brain damage, dizziness, hallucinations.
Burning sensation, burning sensation in extremities.
5 Treatment of overdose
As soon as a patient is found to have overdosed, the patient should be taken to the hospital immediately.
Use Activated Charcoal to absorb excess medication.
Use the drug to quickly eliminate the drug from the body through the urinary tract.
Administer intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration and stabilize bodily functions.
Use a respirator if breathing is impaired.
Dialysis to better clean the blood.
Medications to stabilize heart function.
Care and monitoring, mental stability for patients.
6 Is it possible to commit suicide with sleeping pills?
If you think, taking 1 pack of sleeping pills with the aim of falling asleep gently and peacefully, it is a completely wrong thought.
Because of you you will have to experience the following feelings:
- Anaphylactic shock, respiratory failure.
- Dizziness, headache, hallucinations
- Vomiting, convulsions, foaming in the mouth and nose.
- Brain damage…
Physical pain is like that, but the success rate of suicide with only sleeping pills is very low (Unless combining sleeping pills with other substances such as tranquilizers and Opioids). Because after taking all the medicine you can buy, you will most likely vomit because this is a very common effect, it is easy to encounter and your life is still saved.
After an unsuccessful suicide from sleeping pills, life is still there, but the brain will be greatly damaged by lack of oxygen and will certainly leave a lot of complications later. And the hurt body hurts both physically and mentally, not as soothing as you first thought.
7 How to detect someone with suicidal thoughts?
There are signs of depression: Feeling bored, feeling bad about yourself, worthless, insomnia, especially in cases of frequent and prolonged insomnia. Do not want to communicate with people around, indifferent, indifferent to people.
Overthinking: worrying about a problem often and being negative when thinking about it.
There are some unusual behaviors: often appearing right after the signs of depression have ended, suddenly caring about people after a long time without talking, giving advice, telling like going away, …
Signs of paranoia, hallucinations: having thoughts of ghosts, ghosts, and obsessions. Thinking that someone is following, being watched, being controlled, someone instigated,…
8 Preventing suicidal thoughts
If you encounter the above signs first, you need to prevent someone who is thinking about suicide by:
- Psychotherapy: Most of the causes of suicidal thoughts are because they have psychological problems. Need to take them to see a psychologist to find out the cause and how to solve their problems. And give the goal plan and treatment protocol.
- Medications: Can use antidepressants, antipsychotics, anti-anxiety drugs, and some medications to treat psychological conditions to improve symptoms, reduce thoughts about suicide.
- Stimulants: Need to quit, quit stimulants such as alcohol, tobacco or drugs for optimal treatment.
- Family and friends: Relatives and friends need help, encouragement, and emotional comfort. With the companionship of loved ones, the patient’s condition will quickly improve, psychological stability will return.
- A healthy lifestyle: Regular exercise, jogging, cycling or participating in any course or subject that the patient loves.
- It is possible to change the living environment, move to a new place so that they can forget the hurtful things in the past.
Remember that every person born into this world deserves to be happy, and it is not easy for your parents to raise you until now. A bad day, not a bad life. So no matter how much life knocks you down, love and respect yourself.
Hi everyone, I’m Tony Scotti, an expert in the field of height increase with many years of experience researching and applying height increase methods, and have achieved promising results. I have created increase height blog as a personal blog to share knowledge and experience about what I have learned during the process of improving my own height.