Many people turn to low-fat diets to lose weight and boost fat burning. However, research shows that a low-carb diet is just as effective. Which school of diet is more beneficial to you in your weight loss battle?
To answer your question about the best method for weight loss, this article compares the science of low carb and low fat diets and suggests the best of each. method.
Basic knowledge of each diet method
While both are intended to help you lose weight, low-carb and low-fat diets have their differences.
Low carb diet
Carbohydrate-restricted diets come in three different levels, including:
- Very low carb diet: carbohydrates make up less than 10% of total daily calories or 20 – 50g per day (out of 2,000 calories total).
- Low carb diet: less than 26% of total daily calories or less than 130g per day (out of 2,000 calories total).
- Moderate carb diet: 26-44% of total daily calories.
Note that very low-carb diets are often ketogenic, which means significantly limiting carbohydrate intake to put your body into a state of ketosis, where your body uses fat for energy instead. because of carbohydrates.
In general, a low carb diet restricts foods such as sugary drinks, baked goods, candy, and sweets. Some versions can also limit healthy carbohydrate sources, such as whole grains, starchy vegetables, high-carbohydrate fruits, pasta, and legumes.
At the same time, you must increase your protein and fat intake from healthy sources such as fish, meat, eggs, nuts, high-fat dairy, unprocessed oils, and non-starchy vegetables.
Low fat diet
A low-fat diet requires limiting fat intake to less than 30% of total daily calories.
High-fat foods such as cooking oils, avocados, avocados, nuts and whole milk are often restricted or banned.
Instead, you should eat foods that are naturally low in fat like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, egg whites, legumes, and skinless poultry. Reduced-fat foods such as low-fat yogurt, skim milk, lean beef and pork are also sometimes allowed.
Be aware, however, that some reduced-fat products like yogurt may contain added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
Which method is better in the fight to lose weight?
Most research shows that a low-carb diet may be more effective at fighting weight loss in the short term than a low-fat diet.
According to a 6-month study in 132 people with obesity, those following a low-carb diet lost three times as much weight as those following a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet.
In a 12-week study, overweight teenagers who followed a low-carb diet lost 10kg, compared with just 4.1kg for those following a low-fat diet.
Similarly, a 2-year study put 322 obese people on a low-fat, low-carbohydrate or Mediterranean diet. The low carb group lost 4.7kg, the low fat group 2.9kg and the Mediterranean group lost 4.4kg.
However, other research suggests that low-carbohydrate and low-fat diets may have similar effects in the long run.
According to a review of 17 studies, a low-carbohydrate diet resulted in significantly more weight loss than a low-fat diet. Although the low carb diet was still more effective after 12 months, the difference between the two diets slowly diminished over time.
Additionally, a 2-year study in 61 people with diabetes found that a low-carb and low-fat diet resulted in similar weight loss.
A large meta-analysis of 48 studies also found that both methods lead to similar weight loss, and noted that choosing a diet that you can stick to is the most important factor. for successful weight loss.
Which method helps to lose more fat?
Most studies suggest that low-carb diets are more beneficial for fat loss.
Studies show that people who follow a low-carb, low-calorie diet lose more total fat mass and belly fat than people who follow a low-fat diet.
Additionally, an analysis of 14 studies found that low-carb diets, and specifically very low-carb diets, reduced fat mass in people with obesity.
Top 13 healthy low-fat foods
- Green leafy vegetables (kale, spinach, lettuce, cruciferous vegetables…) are not only fat-free, but also contain loads of nutrients.
- Fruits: Very low in fat, rich in fiber and vitamins.
- Legumes: Low in fat, high in fiber, minerals and protein.
- Sweet Potatoes: One medium sweet potato contains only 1.4g of fat. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, a substance that helps fight aging and protect the eyes.
- Sour cherry juice: This type of cherries has anti-inflammatory effects.
- The cabbage group vegetables, including broccoli, broccoli, cabbage.
- Types of mushrooms.
- Garlic: Has many effects, including prevention of colds, flu and lowering blood fat.
- Quinoa: Unlike whole grains, quinoa contains no fat and is rich in nutrients, protein, and fiber.
- Lean fish: This is a great source of protein.
- Chicken Breasts: One serving (85g, skinless) contains only 3g of fat but provides 26g of protein.
- Milk (including yogurt and soy milk) is low-fat.
- Egg whites (all egg fat is in the yolk).
Top 10 healthy low-carbohydrate food groups
- Eggs and meats of all kinds.
- Sea food.
- Vegetables, the best ones include broccoli, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale, bell peppers, asparagus, tomatoes, onions, and celery.
- Fruits, especially berries, oranges, lemons, grapefruits, kiwis, apricots, avocados (high in healthy fats).
- Nuts and beans.
- Butter, coconut oil, avocado oil.
- Milk, yogurt, cheese.
- Dark Chocolate.
- Spices such as pepper, chili, ginger, lemongrass, cinnamon…
- Filtered water, tea and black coffee.
Conclusion about the weight loss battle between low fat and low carb
Low-fat diets are a popular method of weight loss. However, low-carbohydrate diets have the upper hand in helping to lose weight and lose fat fast.
Whether you choose a low-carb or low-fat diet, remember that long-term adherence to the diet is one of the most important factors for success in the battle to lose weight and maintain overall health. .
Low Carbs vs. Low Fat Diets — Which Is Best for Weight Loss? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-carb-low-fat-diet? Access date: September 1, 2020
13 Low-Fat Foods That Are Good For Your Health https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/healthy-low-fat-foods Access date: September 1, 2020
44 Healthy Low-Carb Foods That Taste Incredible https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/44-healthy-low-carb-foods Access date: September 1, 2020
Hi everyone, I’m Tony Scotti, an expert in the field of height increase with many years of experience researching and applying height increase methods, and have achieved promising results. I have created increase height blog as a personal blog to share knowledge and experience about what I have learned during the process of improving my own height.