Did you know that the Dutch have topped the world in height for the past 10 years? As of now, this reign shows no signs of changing hands. So, what exactly is the average height of the Dutch? We’ll reveal all in this article. Moreover, their growth secrets are intricately analyzed. Stay tuned and read through this entire piece.
What is the average height of the Dutch?
The current average height of the Dutch is 6ft 0.0078in (182.9 centimet) for males and 5ft 6.65in (169.3 centimet) for females, making the Netherlands the tallest nation globally. Estimates indicate that men in this country are about 10cm taller than men in other nations, and women are taller by an average of 1.97 inches (5 centimet).
The Dutch have been taller for many centuries, but their growth rate skyrocketed in the 20th century. In 1930, the average height for Dutch men was only 5ft 9.13in (175.6 centimet), and for Dutch women, it was 5ft 5.1in (165.4 centimet). However, by 1980, men in this country had reached an average height of 6ft 0.4in (183.9 centimet), and women reached 5ft 5.7in (170.7 centimet).
In recent years, the growth rate of the height of the Dutch has slowed down, but they still remain the tallest people globally, and it’s likely to stay that way for many years to come.
Why are the Dutch the Tallest in the World?
Several factors contribute to the height of the Dutch, including genetics, diet, and healthcare. Genetics is likely the most crucial factor, as there is a strong correlation between height and genes. However, diet and healthcare also play determining roles.
Milk for Height Growth
The Dutch have a long history of dairy farming, ensuring a high-quality milk production system. This has helped maintain rich levels of protein, calcium, and essential nutrients in their diet.
In the Dutch population, there’s a tight correlation between height and genetics. This means taller Dutch individuals are more likely to have tall offspring, and shorter individuals tend to have shorter children. The straightforward explanation is that height is genetically passed from parents to children.
A study published in the journal “Nature” revealed around 180 genes influencing height. These genes work together to determine a person’s height, with these decisive genes being more common in taller individuals. Therefore, we can conclude that the height of the Dutch is partly due to their genetics.
The Dutch follow a healthy diet, prioritizing natural foods like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, while limiting processed foods, high fats, sugars, and unhealthy fats.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Dutch children are encouraged to consume ample fruits and vegetables, providing essential vitamins, minerals, and good fiber.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat bread, and oats are popular in their daily meals, offering complex carbohydrates for sustained energy.
- Dairy Products: Dairy is crucial in the Dutch diet, especially for children, providing a significant amount of calcium, vitamin D, and protein.
- Lean Meat and Fish: These sources provide essential protein and abundant omega-3 fatty acids, crucial for brain development.
- Beans and Seeds: These contribute fatty acids, fiber, and substantial protein to their diet.
The Dutch dietary pattern is a prime example of a healthy diet for children and adolescents in their developmental years.
You might not know this, but the Netherlands is one of the most physically active countries globally. According to a study by the World Health Organization, 72% of Dutch adults engage in regular physical activities.
To enhance fitness for the younger generation, the Dutch government focuses heavily on physical education. Children in this country are required to participate in physical education classes for at least two hours per week. This helps cultivate a love for physical activity in them from an early age.
Another reason for the enthusiastic engagement of the Dutch in physical activities is the timely and modern support from sports infrastructure. There are numerous parks, playgrounds, and sports centers across the country.
Moreover, the Dutch have a tradition of cycling for transportation. An estimated over 22 million bicycles exist nationwide, surpassing the country’s population. The government invests significantly in cycling infrastructure, with dedicated lanes and pathways for bicycles throughout the country, and many cities have specific bike-friendly areas.
The Height of Dutch People Compared to Countries Worldwide
|Country||Avg Male Height (cm)||Taller than NL (cm)||Avg Female Height (cm)||Taller than NL (cm)|
Based on the information provided in the table, it can be observed that the average height of countries in the Western European region is notably superior. The majority of men possess a height of at least 5ft 10in (1.78 meters), and for women, it is at least 5ft 4.96in (1.65 meters). The similarity in genetic factors, cultural background, cuisine, and other elements contributes to this phenomenon.
In comparison to the height of individuals in the United States – a country that has historically led in average height worldwide – the Netherlands surpasses by 2.28 inches (5.8 centimet) for men and 2.165 inches (5.5 centimet) for women.
Read more: What is the average height of Americans?
Why is the height of the Dutch population currently decreasing?
The Netherlands has held the top position for average height worldwide for many years. The average height for men in this country is 6ft 0.44in (1.84 meters), and for women, it is 5ft 6.93in (1.70 meters). At the present time, the average height for men born in 2001 has decreased to 6ft 0.0078in (182.9 centimet), and for women born in 2001, it has decreased to 5ft 6.65in(169.3 centimet). This indicates a decrease of 1cm compared to the past.
According to the Dutch government, the main reasons leading to the decline in height in the younger generation are related to genetics and dietary habits.
- Genetics: The Dutch population is becoming more diverse. This is because different populations have different average heights, and when they intermarry, the average height of their offspring may decrease.
- Dietary habits: The dietary habits of the Dutch people have changed in recent years. They consume fewer dairy products, which are a rich source of calcium for growth. Moreover, the youth in this country also show a preference for fast food more than before.
According to various sources, there are still other social factors contributing to the decline in height of the Dutch population.
- Healthcare: The healthcare system in the Netherlands remains excellent, but it may not be as effective as before. This could lead to a decrease in average height because people may not receive timely support for height development.
- Environmental factors: Environmental elements such as pollution and climate change may also play a role in reducing the average height of the population. For example, pollution can hinder the production of growth hormones.
Nevertheless, the decrease in the average height of the Dutch people is still relatively small. Therefore, they continue to be the tallest people globally and are likely to remain so for many years.
In conclusion, we have explored the average height of the Dutch population and the secrets behind their stature. It is believed that with these simple methods, you can easily incorporate them into your daily lifestyle.
Hi everyone, I’m Tony Scotti, an expert in the field of height increase with many years of experience researching and applying height increase methods, and have achieved promising results. I have created increase height blog as a personal blog to share knowledge and experience about what I have learned during the process of improving my own height.